• • •
The Saturday IM Monks Brunch: October 3, 2020
Saturdays at IM — A Retrospective (part 2)
Saturday Ramblings 2.0 – The Pastor Dan Show
After Jeff Dunn stepped down in 2014, I turned the Saturday duties over to my good friend Pastor Dan — Daniel Jepsen — and Saturday Ramblings 2.0 was born. In order to help you know Dan a bit better, here’s some information from his church website bio.
- He is often mistaken for George Clooney
- Using only a typewriter and a bottle of Windex, he successfully defended an Ecuadoran village from rabid terrorist raccoons.
- He once smuggled gospel tracts into the headquarters of the Christian Broadcasting Network.
- He writes rap/bluegrass operas.
- He only passes gas once a year. For an hour.
- He had a full-ride surfing scholarship at the University of Iowa.
- He is an expert in origami, a veteran in love and an outlaw in Mexico.
Books written by Daniel…
- Crowd Control in the Sahara
- The History of Antarctic Agriculture
- Do-it-Yourself Brain Surgery
- Playing full-contact Euchre
- Teaching Falconry to Mongolians
- Dominating football games at the nursing home
- Annoying Accountants
- Writing weird stuff on the internet
We’ll begin with a video Dan posted back in May of 2015. Here we see our beloved pastor as he works with two women from the the worship team to prepare our hearts through song (and dance) to receive the morning’s message.
Let me tell you, Dan’s the man when it comes to finding material for Saturday morning. He is at once the most serious person I know and one of the funniest. He’s a deep thinker as well as a mischievous child at heart. What are some of the things Dan did on Saturday Ramblings?
- He reminded us of the unforgettable song, “Muskrat Love,” saying, “This sublime ballad forever speaks to the deepest and holiest part of my soul.”
- He (of course!) taught us the link between Calvinism and Grand Theft Auto.
- He helped us appreciate the talent and wit of Steve Taylor.
- Dan pissed off Putin.
- He tweaked Chaplain Mike relentlessly, mocking his beloved Chicago Cubs, and even drafting him for POTUS.
- Dan memed Shakespeare (something Michael Spencer would have enjoyed).
- Daniel was the first of us here at IM to ponder the multitudinous, magnificent, majestic (and, let’s not forget, moronic) mysteries of Donald Trump, including this image of him in a tub of butter, found by a startled woman as she prepared to butter her toast.
- With keen insight, Dan deciphered for us the secret code to understanding Japanese toilets.
- Being the fine citizen he is, Dan gave helpful public service announcements, like this one.
Police in northwestern Massachusetts posted an important reminder Monday night:
**Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised**
The North Adams Police Department is urging everyone to NOT chase bears through the woods with a dull hatchet, drunk. Yes that really did happen tonight. We understand there are bears in the area. If you see a bear, LEAVE IT ALONE and call us. We certainly don’t need anyone going all Davy Crockett chasing it through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet. It is just a bad idea.
Dan and I have shared the Saturday duties over the years, but I have never been able to match his level of wit, silliness, and the pure joy he takes in this whimsical, enigmatic, profound life we share. He still contributes regularly to the Saturday Brunch, and since Pastor Dan is, in truth, an excellent chef, we are all the better for it. He will be sharing more with us before the end of year on Saturdays and through more serious, theological posts on other days as well.
Thanks, Pastor Dan, for hours of enjoyment and encouragement on Saturday mornings as you’ve led us on our weekly rambles!
Let’s end with a video Dan posted back in 2015. My friends, this is one of the greatest, most magnificent, most insightful, most dispensational music videos ever.
As Dan said at the time: “And what better than to mix some beautiful music with profound eschatology? And who better to mix it up than William Tapley, a Roman Catholic Rapturist who also calls himself The Third Eagle of the Apocalypse and Co-prophet of the End Times.”
Again, thanks to Pastor Dan, frying the whore of Babylon faithfully here at Internet Monk on Saturdays past.