Let’s Discuss: Discernment
On Friday, I’ll be heading south to pray with monks at Gethsemani for the weekend. My main purpose in going, besides spiritual refreshment, is to take advantage of the silence to work on a project about Spiritual Discernment.
Before I go, I thought I’d ask for my fellow iMonks’ input. Consider this a brainstorming session.
For example, consider the following questions…
- When you hear the word, “discernment,” what comes to mind? How would you define the quality, especially in a spiritual and Christian sense?
- Assuming that “discernment” is multifaceted, what kinds of discernment are there? What aspects of it seem most pertinent to you in the course of daily life?
- How does one become a “discerning” person? What habits and practices are important for developing “discernment”?
- What examples or stories do you have of someone that you consider to be “discerning”?
- Have you read any books or articles that helped you discover the meaning and importance of “discernment”?
This is your chance to have an open discussion on the subject, and an opportunity for me to learn from your experience and insight.
Thanks, in advance, for participating. I hope it will be an enjoyable and edifying day for us all.