A Halloween Open Mic
Some years ago, Michael Spencer posed an Open Mic question to the iMonk community: “Where in the Bible does it say Satan wants to take “souls” to hell?”
Today, in addition to that query, I’m pulling a few other questions out of Michael’s famous Halloween posts so that we can discuss them together today. Here they are:
- Where in the Bible does it say Satan wants to take “souls” to hell?
- How did those great, fun, harmless, safe, nostalgic, exciting, slightly scary and completely un-demonic Halloweens of the past that many Christians enjoyed get turned into a complete rejection of Halloween and a growing body of evangelical taboos about the occult?
- How can anyone, particularly one who says they believe in the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, believe that mummies and werewolves and ghosts and witches hold any spiritual or actual power?
- How has the faith and the church suffered from what Michael called “the escalating attacks of religious people on the realm of the imagination”?
- How do you respond to the following commentary by Michael Spencer on such fundamentalist takes on Halloween as “Hell Houses”? — “But a person cannot watch Hell House without seeing a bleak, pessimistic and ultimately apocalyptically distorted vision of Christianity. This is a community of believers who are shaped almost entirely by the manipulative authoritarian spirituality of pastors who seem to have never heard of the doctrine of creation, the Kingdom of God, the present Lordship of Jesus or the church as the living body of Christ. This is a vision of evangelicalism that is loading a plane for escape from this world as quickly as possible.”